It is important to get your multilingual SEO right as it can promote your business worldwide and be very profitable. Our SEO Consultants at SEO Junkies have come up with these common mistakes that you should avoid.
1. Getting The Local Language Wrong - Most companies will write the content for their website and then translate it using devices such as Google Translate. However, these tools will sometimes give the exact translation of content which could mean that it isn’t worded correctly. This will make it harder for the user to understand what is written, so they will lose confidence in the company! You can combat this by using a native translator to write the content who can make sure that when the content is translated it is worded correctly to ensure the correct local dialect is used.
2. Only Using Search Engines Such As Google - Different countries use different search engines. Many companies assume that everyone everywhere uses the same search engine when they actually don’t. In Russia, for example, their main search engine is Yandex. This means that you cannot simply only optimise your website on Google or Bing and must research into alternatives. Otherwise you will lose a chance to maximise your company’s visibility.
3. Not Following The Local Market Trends – Online shopping is conducted in different ways by different cultures. For example, in Korea the main strategy they use to market their products to customers is blogs. This means that if your website does not have any blogs then people in Korea aren’t going to notice your company. You don’t want to miss opportunities to market your business internationally because you don’t know the local shopping culture.
4. Not Using A Top Level Domain - Some companies will just use their co.uk site for each country. If you use a top level domain then you can provide a level of local assurance and familiarity amongst customers using localised. For example, Amazon will use .co.uk for shoppers in England, .ca for Canada, .com for America and so on. This provides the user with a unique website for them and it makes it easier for them to use. The user will be able to see how much each thing costs instead of trying to convert American dollars to English pounds. Search engines will also rank sites highly that include relevant domains.
5. Not Using The Google Multilingual Mark-Up - All sites should be using this as it will allow Google to understand content specifically produced for multiple geographic regions.
If you’re looking for multilingual SEO, contact SEO Junkies today. Our team of SEO consultants are experts in all fields of search engine optimisation and can help your website make an impact on a global scale. For more information, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to link to this blog then please copy and paste the HTML code below into your website.